Taking The Scary Out of Halloween Treats by Allison Bowers, Registered Dietitian
Every year around this time, the junk food questions really start rolling in! Halloween through New Year’s is a challenging time for everyone’s waist lines! The best thing you can do is to have a plan and give yourself permission! Plan for that piece of candy after lunch to stop yourself from gorging on 5 pieces later on. Keep the candy in a spot where you have to take the stairs to get to get some.
I’ve also reviewed some of the better-for-you options below:
- Peanut M&Ms (tiny bit of protein and some healthy fat)
- Almond Kisses (Same as those M&Ms… try to keep it limited to 2!)
- York Peppermint Patties (Low in calories, pre-portioned, and made with dark chocolate! Hello? The trifecta!)
- 1 oz. Dark Chocolate (Dove and Hershey do a great job, here!)
- Mini Tootsie Rolls (Just 35 calories each!)
- Mini 3 Musketeers (Just 25 calories each!)
- 2-pack mini Twizzlers (While not exactly nutrient dense, there is only 50 calories in a 2-pack with 0g of fat)
- Opt for fruit snacks made with real fruit. Most provide quite a bit of Vitamin C and potassium!
Some of the “slower” candies help curb that craving, too! If you are one who has a hard time going back for another piece or 2, opt for something that will take longer to finish, such as lollipops, Jolly Ranchers, and gum.
Just some tricks to help you love your treats!
Want to learn more about Healthy Eating Through the Holidays?
Allison Bowers, our Registered Dietitian, who will be hosting Wellness Wednesdays on November 11th! Come listen to Allison’s tips for managing your nutrition throughout the entire holiday season!
Call us today to Register for this Event!